Sturgeon School Division’s Kasie Hoffman, Barbara Kleespies, Deborah McEachren, Shelley Speer, Allan Traub and Sandra Wood are among a select group of Kindergarten to Grade 12 teachers and principals recognized as semi-finalists in Alberta Education’s 2012 Excellence in Teaching Awards program.
- Kasie Hoffman teaches our Kinderstart Class at Sturgeon Heights School
- Barbara Kleespies teaches a grade 1/2 split class at Namao School
- Deborah McEachren teaches a grade one class at Bon Accord Community School
- Shelley Speer teaches Spanish at Sturgeon Composite High School
- Allan Traub is the Principal at Oak Hill School
- Sandra Wood teaches the grade 3/4 split class at Morinville Public Elementary School
This year, 130 semi-finalists were recognized from 341 nominations.
“I congratulate all nominees and semi-finalists in this year’s awards program,” said Minister of Education Thomas Lukaszuk. “To be nominated is a display of confidence, support and validation by your peers and community.”
From the 130 semi-finalists, 23 award recipients will be announced later this month and then honoured in Calgary on May 26 at a dinner and awards ceremony.
Alberta Education hosts the 24th Annual Excellence in Teaching Awards with the support of the Alberta School Councils’ Association, the Alberta School Boards Association, the Alberta Teachers’ Association, the Association of Alberta Deans of Education, the College of Alberta School Superintendents, the Council on Alberta Teaching Standards, the Edmonton Journal, and SMART Technologies.
Albertans have celebrated Excellence in Teaching since 1989, with more than 9,000 teachers nominated and 492 award recipients. For more information about the Excellence in Teaching Awards, visit www.education.alberta.ca.