Date: February 10, 2021
Responsible Administrator: Associate Superintendent Education Services
Sturgeon Public Schools believes that beginning students shall have the opportunity to attend school in accordance with the Education Act.
The Associate Superintendent, Education Services, will be responsible to maintain the procedure.
1. Grade 1 Age An individual who, as of September 1st in a year, is 6 years of age or older, shall attend school. An individual who attains the age of 6 years on or before December 31st in a school year shall be permitted to enter grade 1 at school opening.
2. Kindergarten Age An individual who attains the age of 5 years on or before December 31st in a school year, shall be permitted to enter into a Kindergarten Program at school opening.
3. Birth certificates or other official documents shall be submitted as proof of age of beginning students. A photocopy of this document shall be kept on file at the school.
4. Principals of schools offering Grade 1 or Kindergarten shall make appropriate arrangements for the admission of beginning students in accordance with the guidelines and the school year set by the Board.
5. A parent/guardian wishing to appeal the decision of the school principal with regard to admission of a Kindergarten or Grade 1 student shall do so in writing to the Superintendent/CEO.
5.1 The appeal must include:
5.1.1 evidence of consultation with the school principal and any other appropriate school staff, and
5.1.2 the parent’s/guardian’s reasons for requesting early registration of the child in the Kindergarten or Grade 1 program.
Education Act: Sections 7, 21
Early Childhood Services Regulation (87/2019): Section 2
Funding Manual for School Authorities
Administrative Procedures II. School Board Governance and Operations